Fall is here, which means winter is near. That also means cold winds and a snowy forecast is just around the corner. While you might be shopping around for your new winter coat, keep in mind your face needs attention too! We have a solution – chemical peels! Chemical peels remove damaged outer layers of skin on the face to smooth texture, reduce scarring, and remove blemishes to produce healthy, glowing skin.
There are three types of chemical peels, ranging from mild to strong. Peels can be combined with other procedures such as facelifts for a more youthful look. They may be covered by insurance if they are performed for medical rather than cosmetic reasons.
AHAs are the gentlest of the three types of chemical peel. They smooth and brighten skin by treating fine wrinkles, dryness, uneven pigmentation and acne. AHAs are typically applied once a week, or may be mixed in a milder concentration with a cream or cleanser to be used daily; treatment takes 10 minutes or less.
TCAs are commonly used for medium-depth peeling (though depth is adjustable) to treat fine surface wrinkles, superficial blemishes and pigment problems, sometimes in combination with AHAs. TCAs are the preferred chemical solution for darker-skinned patients and may be used on the neck and other areas of the body. Multiple treatments may be required, but treatments only last 10-15 minutes and recovery time is short.
Phenol, the strongest chemical peel, treats deeper skin problems such as coarse facial wrinkles, pre-cancerous growths, and areas of blotchy or damaged skin caused by sun exposure, aging or birth-control pills. Phenol is used only on the face. Full-facial treatment can last an hour or two and recovery can take a few months, with possible skin lightening and removal of freckles.
If you are interested in learning more about the types of chemical peels we offer, or would like to schedule an appointment, please call us today: 631-751-4400
Your skin changes with the seasons, and so should your skincare! Summer might be coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean the sun stops affecting your skin. Now is the perfect time to start getting your skin ready for the fall, and even preparing for the harsh winters ahead! Here are three recommended tips to restoring your youthful glow and reversing some of the wear and tear your skin took during the summer.
Exfoliate. Time to get rid of that dry cracked sun-damaged skin! Microdermabrasion is a minimally invasive spa procedure that rejuvenates the appearance of the skin by treating sun damage, scarring, wrinkles and other unwanted skin problems. This procedure uses a gentle stream of tiny particles to exfoliate the outer layer of skin, leaving fresh, younger-looking skin and a renewed appearance. Microdermabrasion may be combined with other procedures such as chemical peels or laser treatment.
Rehydrate. Our skin gets thirsty too! Make sure to drink plenty of water, and use moisturizers daily. If you are looking for an extra facial boost, try our Zo Hydration Facial Treatment. This treatment hydrates and rejuvenates moisture-depleted skin. Replenish your skin with this hydration facial treatment while decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This treatment uses, aloe, cucumber and chamomile, to calm and soothe the skin, along with DNA repairing enzymes, resulting in a beautiful refreshed look to your skin.
Protect. The sun might be setting earlier, but it can still be damaging! Make sure to use facial and body moisturizers and makeup that have sunscreen already in them. This will help protect against damaging sun rays that cause wrinkles and sunspots. If not, use sunscreen daily – protection is key to healthy glowing skin!
If you are interested in learning more about ways to rejuvenate your skin, or would like to schedule an appointment, please call us today: 631-751-4400
Have you ever looked at your cellphone screen after a phone call and noticed there was oil from your face on the screen? Does your face always look shiny when looking at pictures of yourself? Everyone has natural oils within their skin, but some secret more oil than others.
Oily skin is caused by excess skin oil produced within the pores, and the amount of oil fluctuates with hormone fluctuation. For example, an adolescent going through puberty is experiencing a high hormone fluctuation and thus will be more likely to excrete more oil from their pores. It all comes down to one’s genetic makeup and how his or her body reacts to life events.
Here are some tips and tricks to treating oily skin:
- Cleanse: Use a gentle face cleanser twice a day
- Moisturize: Moisturize your skin every day
- Oil-free products: Use oil-free face products especially when it comes to makeup
- ZO Acne Facial Treatment: This treatment, offered by our spa, is used to minimize excess oil production and tighten pores. This process while is a deep pore cleansing treatment it also encourages healing and reduces inflammation using eucalyptus and kaolin which which will help to calm and soothe.
- Oxygen Treatment: This treatment, offered by our spa, uses pressurized cool oxygen increases absorption of serum to improve skins moisture as well as vitamins.
If you are interested in learning more about our facial treatments, how to combat oily skin, or any other service we offer please call us today: 631-751-4400.
The constant heat and humidity of the summer can leave your skin dehydrated, cracked, and stressed. Luckily, the food we eat and how we treat ourselves can prevent or even reverse these effects. Your body needs the right nutrients to fight off damage, and your skin is no different. Here are some tips and tricks to rejuvenating your skin!
- NUTRITION: Drink plenty of water every day – the recommended amount is eight glasses a day. Eat foods rich with antioxidants like blueberries, cranberries, and pecans. Eat a diet filled with colorful vegetables like peppers, spinach, and beets. A diet rich in vitamin C leads to fewer wrinkles. Researchers have found that skin exposed to vitamin C for long periods of time can produce up to eight times more collagen!
- EVERYDAY TIPS: Limit your sun exposure. While small amounts of daily sun can be beneficial, too much sun can damage your skin. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen and polarized sunglasses. Opt for natural skin products that don’t contain harsh chemicals. Engage in activities that relieve stress as high levels of stress will compromise your skin. Make sure that you not only sleep for eight hours a night, but that it is quality sleep.
- MICRODERMABRASION: Microdermabrasion is a minimally invasive spa procedure that rejuvenates the appearance of the skin by treating sun damage, scarring, wrinkles and other unwanted skin problems. This procedure uses a gentle stream of tiny particles to exfoliate the outer layer of skin, leaving fresh, younger-looking skin and a renewed appearance.
If you are interested in learning more about ways to rejuvenate your skin, or would like to schedule an appointment, please call us today: 631-751-4400.
Summer is here and that means so is the heat and humidity. That also means it’s time for backyard barbecues, beach hangouts, and outdoor parties. This is one reason the permanent makeup trend is on the rise. So often summer heat melts away eyeliner, mascara, lipliner, and more. If you find yourself constantly having to reapply your makeup, or you are just tired of your daily extensive makeup routine, then it is time to explore the benefits of permanent makeup!
WHAT IS IT? Permanent makeup mimics the look of just-applied lipstick, lip liner, eyebrow pencil, and eyeliner. It is done through a process called micropigmentation. Micropigmentation uses a tattooing technique as a means of adding designs around the eyes, lips, and eyebrows for a full makeup-ready look.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS? Permanent makeup means saying goodbye not just to the constant application in humid months like the summer, but to your everyday lengthy makeup routine. The best part? It is long lasting! Give your face a break from dry powders and greasy liners. With permanent makeup, you can wakeup and go without the hassle.
WHERE CAN I GET IT DONE? We now offer permanent makeup at our spa, Spa Belle Meade! Currently, we offer permanent makeup solutions for eyebrows, eyeliner, full lip and lip liner. It is important to note that permanent makeup requires the same downtime and recovery as any other type of tattoo. We recommend avoiding the sun, pool, and/or beach for the first week.
If you are interested in learning more about our permanent makeup solutions, or would like to schedule an appointment, please call us today: 631-751-4400.
Tired of constantly applying your makeup? We are now offering permanent makeup solutions! Call us today to learn more or to schedule an appointment: 631-751-2693.
With the colder months behind us, we are beginning to prep ourselves for summer. That means getting our dry skin looking refreshed! If you are tired of dried elbows, pealing facial skin, and rough cracked hands then try out these 5 tips and tricks to achieving glowing hydrated skin.
- H2O. Make water your best friend! It is one of the most important factors in achieving fresh looking skin. Drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day will hydrate your body from the inside out. Mix it up every once in a while by adding lemon or cucumber to your water for a refreshing change!
- Protect. Everyday elements such as the sun, wind, and pollution can have an effect on your skin. Make sure to apply sunscreen (even if it is not sunny) when you plan on going outdoors. Read the ingredients in your beauty products – many brands already include sunscreen in them! Wear appropriate clothing that covers your skin from unnecessary sun exposure or highly polluted areas.
- Moisturize. First, find the right moisturizer for your skin type and body part. Your face might require a different type of cream than other areas like your hands, elbows, and feet as it may be more sensitive. After cleansing the area(s), apply moisturizer. This should be done daily, in the morning and at night.
- Exfoliate. Moisture cannot get in the skin if there are too many dead cells blocking it. Try exfoliating in the shower using a body wash and a brush or sponge. You can also treat yourself to an exfoliating facial or chemical peal! Chemical peels remove damaged outer layers of skin on the face to smooth texture, reduce scarring, and remove blemishes to produce healthy, glowing skin.
- Nutrition. Eating foods high in water content can help hydrate your skin from the inside out. Try water-based foods like watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges, and kiwi. Choose watery vegetables like celery, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Also consider an omega-3 supplement, or consume more fatty fish to give your skin the building blocks it needs to appear smooth.
Say goodbye to rough cracked skin, and hello to smooth fresh perfection! If you would like more information about keeping your skin hydrated and protected, or would like more information on the types of chemical peels we offer to help kickstart the process, give us a call: 631-751-4400.
At Spa Belle Meade, the medical spa, we offer a variety of services, from facials and massages to chemical peels and body treatments. Giving your body a day to relax and rejuvenate is vital to your overall health and well-being, so why not spend it at our spa getting a massage? Massages are a great way to unwind and provide our muscles with the relief we may not even know they need. But when it comes to massages, how do you know the difference between a deep tissue massage and a Swedish massage? Keep reading to ind out how these massages can bene it your body in different ways, and give us a call today to schedule your next visit!
Deep Tissue Massage:
As the name suggests, a deep tissue massage aims at impacting the deeper tissue structure of your muscles, in addition to the connective tissues. If you’re a runner or athlete suffering from muscle fatigue and/or muscle spasms and tension, a deep tissue massage can do the trick in healing your body. The massage therapist will focus on deeper layers of tissue, getting out any tension that might have built up over time or a by continuously doing a particular action. Using slow strokes, the therapist can apply pressure that will help with chronic aches and pains and can help to separate knots within the tissue and muscle that may have accumulated over time.
The Swedish massage is the most common type of massage that we offer at Spa Belle Meade. The Swedish massage is practiced by the therapist who will exert a firm pressure onto the muscles. Unlike the deep tissue massage that focuses on exerting pressure into one muscle, the Swedish massage therapist will practice long yet gliding strokes into the muscle. Swedish massages are beneficial if you’re looking to improve muscle flexibility or increase blood circulation. Swedish massages are particularly helpful in increasing the flow of oxygen in the blood which can release toxins from the body’s muscles out of the body tissue. A discussion with your massage therapist will help you decide which type of massage is right for you.
Whether it’s a deep tissue or Swedish massage that you’re looking for, Spa Belle Meade is the place to go for a day of relaxation and rejuvenation. Give us a call today if you’re interested in these massages or any of our other services!
Becoming a parent is one of the most rewarding experiences a woman can have. There’s good reason to feel excited and proud of the changes motherhood brings to your body. However, over time, some of those changes can begin to seem more like a burden. Enter the Mommy Makeover! It can be a powerful confidence-booster that gives you just the lift you need this holiday season.
What Exactly is a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is a combination of plastic surgery solutions designed to reverse or alleviate the effects of pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. You and your doctor will consult to decide on exactly which treatments you’d like to have, but most plans include a combination of CoolSculpting® or liposuction, breast lift, and tummy tuck. Of course, you can always choose to skip or add elements to personalize your own Mommy Makeover.
What Can a Mommy Makeover Fix?
It’s important to be realistic in your goals for a Mommy Makeover. No matter how good your plastic surgeon, you aren’t going to come out looking exactly the way you did before you had children – and no one can truly turn back time. However, the techniques used can make you look and feel more like you used to about your body – and in some cases, even better.
Why is Winter the Best Time for a Mommy Makeover?
There are a number of reasons why winter is considered by many to be the best time to schedule a Mommy Makeover:
- 1. Downtime. The shorter, darker, colder days of winter may actually make it easier to handle the need to stay at home and be less active after your procedures.
- 2. Cool Weather. Staying cool is actually important to the healing process. In winter, you don’t have to worry about becoming overheated from the necessary bandages and compresses.
- 3. Wardrobe. A winter wardrobe makes it easier to hide your healing and the fact that you had any procedures done until you’re fully recovered – and ready to show your new body off.
- 4. Less Risk from Sun. Any time you undergo a plastic surgery procedure, keeping the healing skin protected from sun exposure is essential. In the winter, it’s much easier to avoid exposing your surgery sites to ultraviolet rays.
- 5. School. With the kids in school, it’s easier to take the time you need for yourself as you recover physically and rebuild your new and enhanced self-esteem.
- 6. Time Off. The holidays usually offer a built-in set of days off – and it’s often easier to explain away the extra time off from work that you may need.
- 7. No Missing Out. Plan your makeover in winter, and you’ll be ready to go in spring – with no need to bow out of fun outdoor activities. And just wait for swimsuit season!
If you’re ready to consult with a Mommy Makeover specialist, contact us at Suffolk Plastic Surgeons today!